Meeting Minutes 2022-02-23

Voting Members :

  • antmicro
  • google
  • ibm
  • oregonstateuniversity
  • vantosh
Total voting members : 5 - Quorum voting members : 3

Attendees :

  • toddrosedahl - ibm
  • toshaanbharvani - vantosh
  • timansell - google
  • lancealbertson - oregonstateuniversity
  • antonblanchard - ibm
  • michaelneuling - ibm
  • xujinhuang - inspurpowersystems
  • munirahmad - lattice
  • daisukeoka - daisukeoka
Voting member present : 4
This meeting has a voting member quorum.

LibreBMC SIG Meeting

Meeting date: 23 February 2022
Access link: https://zoom.us/j/91597478078
Meeting ID: 91597478078

Call to Order

Anti-trust Reminder

This is a reminder that all OpenPOWER Foundation activities are subject to strict compliance with the OpenPOWER Foundation’s Antitrust Guidelines. Each individual participant and attendee at this meeting is responsible for knowing the contents of the Antitrust Guidelines, and for complying with the Antitrust Guidelines. Copies of the Antitrust Guidelines are available at: Antitrust Guidelines in Google Drive or Antitrust Guidelines OPF in OpenPOWER Foundation member area.
New version HERE

AGENDA

Getting hardware to people – Update

Bringup

  • Any update?

OCP DC-SCM 2.0 Working Group – Meets bi-weekly

  • Todd to run a call with Google and some other key players to discuss our common direction. Still WIP

Conference Report follow ups

  • Nothing New

Communication / Collaboration

  • From Tim Ansell Seems to be a large amount of work being done which isn’t being communicated. Is there a better way to communicate what all is being worked on.

  • Still seem to be issues with sending iCal meeting invites.

    • Yes, this is still an issue, we have some work-arounds planned
    • Update?
  • Everyone should be posting things into the #librebmc-sig slack channel.

Gateware

Toolchain

Software

Workgroup Collaboration Tools

New Topics

  • How do we get more people involved? Nothing new here

    • Need to get ready images to consume by people
    • Need LiteX-Hub support and integration
    • Add more FPGA boards supports
    • Get it running on Raspbery PI
    • Then add some documentation
    • Badges and certificates
  • It was suggested that we should have a logo for libreBMC. Any thoughts from the team. Nice to have, but should not be a focus right now.

    • I did see an offer of help for a logo. I will follow up
  • Open the software stack to the world This is not new, but worth reminding us again of the next steps

    • Step 1: Get the FPGA/DC-SCM card booting the AC922

    • Step 2: Incorporate microwatt into lite-x natively.

    • Step 3: Enable others

      • Need others to be able to re-create the results.
      • Build all pieces – Core, peripherals, OpenBMC,etc
      • Need official OpenBMC project and a makefile, bitbake/etc
      • Need the project broken down into manageable pieces
    • Step 4: Include the firmware into the CI infrastructure

    • Step 5: Enhancements – hoping for further industry participation

      • Full FPGA support (I2C, FSI, etc) More than just bit banging
      • Resource usage – Shrink micro-watt to get 4 cores.
        • See requirements from Tim A. on last call
      • Full OpenBMC support expected for a standard server
  • List of opens (potential barriers) for using FPGAs as BMCs

    • Cost – Munir to follow up
    • Soft Error Rates – Munir to follow up
    • Performance
    • Image size
    • Todd to get more
  • IDEAS for Making Progress

  • Incremental goal? Linux on LiteX VexRISCV like repository – IE An example for just running a POWER Linux system on as many FPGA development boards as possible?

  • Set Goals – Where do we want to be in 3mo, 6mo, 1 year?

    • Tasks defined
    • Able to generate a bitstream for an FPGA using fully open source toolchain.
    • Have RTL suitable for real production usage that has software support in the upstream OpenBMC project.
    • Someone seriously starting to do a real (non-development) LibreBMC deployment.
    • Fully functional Gateware and OpenBMC code stack for AC922
      • Determine the performance/size
  • Have someone replicate the FPGA/OpenBMC load from scratch

    • Toshaan said he would do this with help from Anton/Mikey
    • Todd to send him the DC-SCM board and interposer
    • Mikey to send him the ROT jumper

Next Meeting

2022-03-17
17th of March 2022  @  16:00 UTC

©2022, All Rights Reserved