Meeting Minutes 2021-05-27

Voting Members :

    Attendees :

    • timansell - google
    • paullecocq - ibm
    • timpearson - raptorcomputingsystems
    • toshaanbharvani - vantosh
    • michaelgielda - antmicro
    • alexeystepanov - yadro
    • lancealbertson - oregonstateuniversity
    • billflynn - ibm
    • paulmackerras - ibm
    • toddrosedahl - ibm
    • stevenroberts - ibm
    • jameskulina - openpowerfoundation
    • zevweiss - equinix
    • mendyfurmanek - ibm
    • michaelneuling - ibm
    • arjunnaj - tataconsultancy
    • mytroung - equinix
    • michalzygowski - 3mdeb
    • karolgugala - antmicro
    Voting member present : 0
    This meeting has a voting member quorum.

    Call to order / Attendance

    Anti-trust Reminder

    This is a reminder that all OpenPOWER Foundation activities are subject to strict compliance with the OpenPOWER Foundation’s Antitrust Guidelines. Each individual participant and attendee at this meeting is responsible for knowing the contents of the Antitrust Guidelines, and for complying with the Antitrust Guidelines. Copies of the Antitrust Guidelines are available at: Antitrust Guidelines in Google Drive or Antitrust Guidelines OPF in OpenPOWER Foundation member area

    Workgroup Housekeeping

    Review of voting members
    Chair Nominations
    Chair vote
    Reminder of workgroup collaboration tools
    Last Meeting Follow-up
    New Business
    Git Repository Structure Discussion
    Nominations for Maintainers
    Vote for maintainers
    Core strategy
    Discussion on what components are needed on FPGA
    Discussion on open tools to use
    Open Items document
    First milestones and actions

    Minutes
    Call to order / Attendance
    Anti-trust Reminder
    Workgroup Housekeeping
    Review of voting members
    Chair Nominations
    Paul Lecocq, IBM
    Tim Pearson, Raptor
    Call for additional nominations - none
    Chair vote
    Tim Ansell, Google - Paul Lecocq (IBM)
    Paul Lecocq, IBM - Paul Lecocq (IBM)
    Tim Pearson, Raptor - Timothy Pearson (Raptor)
    Toshaan Bharvani, VanTosh - Paul Lecocq (IBM)
    Michael Gielda, Antmicro - Paul Lecocq (IBM)
    Alexey Stepanov, Yadro - Timothy Pearson (Raptor)
    Lance Albertson, Oregon State - Paul Lecocq (IBM)
    Reminder of workgroup collaboration tools
    Slack / IRC
    https://openpowerfoundation.slack.com/archives/C01UVKFKUQY
    #librebmc on libera / freenode (namespace)
    https://chat.openpower.foundation/opf/channels/librebmc
    Google Drive
    https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1p7YL3urCf4NtYbJTRxXDluytmMotUwty
    OPF Discuss
    https://discuss.openpower.foundation/c/sig/librebmc/11
    GIT repository
    https://git.openpower.foundation/librebmc/librebmc
    Will be mirrored to gh and gl
    Larger shared storage area to save meeting recordings
    Files.openpower.foundation
    Last Meeting Follow-up
    New Business
    Git Repository Structure Discussion
    https://git.openpower.foundation/librebmc/librebmc
    https://git.openpower.foundation/librebmc/librebmc-gateware
    Can we just call this gateware ?
    Scratch places for OpenBMC / LSB
    Nominations for Maintainers
    Vote for maintainers (unanimity)
    Tim Ansel (Google)
    Tim Pearson (Raptor)
    Karol Gugala (Antmicro)
    Toshaan Bharvani (VanTosh)
    Core strategy
    Multiple cores using LiteX wrappers
    Need to define core interface so cores can selected at build time
    Discussion on what components are needed on FPGA
    What exists
    What needs to be designed
    See document LibreBMC open items for now
    Discussion on open tools to use

    Open Items document
    Need to convert to github issues
    https://git.openpower.foundation/librebmc/librebmc
    Use this for issues for the overall project
    First milestones and actions
    Need to start getting content into git
    License file
    Apache V2 with hardware
    Readme
    Open Discussion
    As we are targeting Artix7, are we planning to focus on open tools, Symbiflow
    Answer is yes, use open source tools first
    Only allow upstream of designs that do not break open source tooling until the open sourcing tools
    Need CICD pipeline that is common and accessible
    Need to figure out where to host this, what resources
    Raptor could volunteer some
    OpenPOWER will host front end
    OSU open source lab
    Action Items
    Need lower resource core to replace microwatt in the future
    Need to be FPGA optimized
    Work streams
    Core optimization for FPGA

    Start document of links to tools and hardware for others to replicate work.

    http://j.mp/openfpga-diagram

    https://symbiflow.readthedocs.io/en/latest/toolchain-desc/design-flow.html

    https://symbiflow-examples.readthedocs.io/en/latest/building-examples.html#linux-litex-demo

    https://hdl.github.io/containers/#_graphs

    Diagram of all open tools, how they fit together, what is missing, what needs significant improvement - FuseSoc, OpenLane, Symbiflow, Yosys, openroads, etc https://github.com/hdl
    EDA Tooling - Containers - https://github.com/hdl/containers
    Make sure these support Power. I believe that Rob Taylor added Power support.
    EDA Tooling - Conda - https://hdl.github.io/containers/

    EDA Tooling - if you are a Bazel fan;
    https://github.com/hdl/bazel_rules_hdl
    Used by Google’s XLS team -> http://github.com/google/xls

    Add current projects that you are working on that relate to LibreBMC or opentools. Plan would be to schedule presentations on them to stir conversation and collaboration. This will highlight areas where technical issues can be worked across projects.

    Next Meeting Agenda Items

    Future topics
    Arjun to present
    Tim Pearson to give update on where Raptor is going with Kestrel

    WEBEX CHAT HISTORY:
    from Toshaan Bharvani (External) to Everyone: 10:03 AM
    Anybody coming in late, please note that this meeting is being recordered
    from Lance Albertson (External) to Everyone: 10:07 AM
    Are you able to hear me?
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:07 AM
    No
    from Lance Albertson (External) to Everyone: 10:07 AM
    Let me reconnect my audio
    from Tim ‘mithro’ Ansell (External) to Everyone: 10:09 AM
    Paul: Can you put a link to do doc here?
    from Paul Lecocq (IBM) to Everyone: 10:09 AM
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/15wC51JWJl5HOjijP8mmfvUtvws5RQaVZDgI8TvTqr9c/edit#
    from Paul Lecocq (IBM) to Everyone: 10:16 AM
    Slack / IRC
    https://openpowerfoundation.slack.com/archives/C01UVKFKUQY
    #librebmc on libera / freenode (namespace)
    https://chat.openpower.foundation/opf/channels/librebmc
    Google Drive
    https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1p7YL3urCf4NtYbJTRxXDluytmMotUwty
    OPF Discuss
    https://discuss.openpower.foundation/c/sig/librebmc/11
    GIT repository
    https://git.openpower.foundation/librebmc/librebmc
    Larger shared storage area to save meeting recordings
    Files.openpower.foundation
    from Alexey Stepanov YADRO (External) to Everyone: 10:19 AM
    kind of welcome thread, good idea!
    from Alexander Amelkin [YADRO] (External) to Everyone: 10:19 AM
    OpenBMC has moved from FreeNode to Discord. Did you consider moving there as well?
    from Toshaan Bharvani (External) to Everyone: 10:22 AM
    No, I did not, I will need to look into Discord, I did consider OFTC and we do have a channel there, but not official
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:23 AM
    Discord requires people either run a binary on their machine (no open source client) or keep a Web browser open. On this side, it has the same issues as Slack without significant advantages
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:24 AM
    In our experience, there’s a lot of the dev community prefers IRC or mailing list, and if not then Github or similar where the Web tooling is designed for asynchronous work
    from Alexander Amelkin [YADRO] (External) to Everyone: 10:27 AM
    I understand this point. However, I personally think IRC is completely obsolete in 2021, and the only way to more or less efficiently use it is connecting to it via Matrix / Riot, which also imlies running a binary. :)
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:28 AM
    If it’s a matter of functionality, there’s also open source options for the more centralized model. :)
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:29 AM
    e.g. Mattermost
    from Toshaan Bharvani (External) to Everyone: 10:29 AM
    We want to maintain an IRC solution and we have mattermost also on chat.openpower.foundation
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:30 AM
    yes, agreed
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:30 AM
    just saying I don’t want things to move in a direction that requires proprietary clients for effective collaboration.
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:31 AM
    appreciate all the integration work toshaan!
    from Toshaan Bharvani (External) to Everyone: 10:32 AM
    I do not know Discord, I will look at it just for informational purposes
    from Alexander Amelkin [YADRO] (External) to Everyone: 10:32 AM
    Why do we need that scratch space for OpenBMC ? OpenBMC uses Gerrit Review, which can (and does) effectively serve as a scratch space.
    from Toshaan Bharvani (External) to Everyone: 10:33 AM
    for staging new functions and checking compatibility
    from Alexander Amelkin [YADRO] (External) to Everyone: 10:34 AM
    I’m just worried that we could end up like Intel with their Intel-BMC that diverges quite significantly from OpenBMC and is rarely merged back.
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:35 AM
    That’s always a concern if a primary goal isn’t to upstream the work on a regular basis. It’s something we’ve had to struggle with as well; the only solution to it is resources that are available and ready / willing to quickly rewrite any of the new code to upstream’s expectations or desires.
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:36 AM
    Basically, we can either move fast and break things (add functionality rapidly) or move at the speed of upstream merges.
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:36 AM
    So which one is the primary goal? :)
    from Toshaan Bharvani (External) to Everyone: 10:37 AM
    No, we will monitor that
    from Alexander Amelkin [YADRO] (External) to Everyone: 10:38 AM
    I guess, unless we set up a policy for upstreaming our changes from “the scratch” on a regular basis, we will inevitably diverge.
    from Timothy Pearson (External) to Everyone: 10:39 AM
    In our experience yes, and that would have to basically include a stop work until the merges are complete. Maybe something like the Linux merge windows – devs can keep additional changes local / out of staging, but no further changes / enhancements accepted that aren’t directly related to upstreaming accepted until upstream merges?
    from Toshaan Bharvani (External) to Everyone: 10:40 AM
    Ok, we will document some policy around that
    from Alexander Amelkin [YADRO] (External) to Everyone: 10:41 AM
    Sounds good
    from Alexander Amelkin [YADRO] (External) to Everyone: 10:50 AM
    You’re discussing some diagram, but I can’t see any media shared. Is it just me?
    from Toshaan Bharvani (External) to Everyone: 10:51 AM
    That is in the google docs for the moment
    from Alexander Amelkin [YADRO] (External) to Everyone: 10:52 AM
    Oh, ok
    from Karol Gugala (External) to Everyone: 11:00 AM
    I have to switch to another meeting
    from Karol Gugala (External) to Everyone: 11:00 AM
    bye
    from Michael (External) to Everyone: 11:01 AM
    Need to run too…

    ©2022, All Rights Reserved