Meeting Minutes 2021-04-14

Voting Members :

    Attendees :

    • timansell - google
    • paullecocq - ibm
    • toshaanbharvani - vantosh
    • billflynn - ibm
    • paulmackerras - ibm
    • toddrosedahl - ibm
    • stevenroberts - ibm
    • jameskulina - openpowerfoundation
    • zevweiss - equinix
    • mendyfurmanek - ibm
    • michaelneuling - ibm
    • arjunnaj - tataconsultancy
    • mytroung - equinix
    Voting member present : 0
    This meeting has a voting member quorum.

    Call to order / Attendance

    Anti-trust Reminder

    This is a reminder that all OpenPOWER Foundation activities are subject to strict compliance with the OpenPOWER Foundation’s Antitrust Guidelines. Each individual participant and attendee at this meeting is responsible for knowing the contents of the Antitrust Guidelines, and for complying with the Antitrust Guidelines. Copies of the Antitrust Guidelines are available at: https://members.openpowerfoundation.org/wg/OPF/document/498

    Workgroup Housekeeping

    Update on workgroup charter process
    Call for participation went out until
    Chair and maintainer process
    Taking nominations / volunteers for positions
    Chair
    Paul Lecocq, IBM
    Tim Pearson, Raptor
    POWER Core technical lead
    ?
    Uncore Technical Lead
    Tim Pearson, Raptor
    Software Technical Lead
    ?
    Github Maintainers
    ?
    Reminder of tentative Workgroup organization
    3 subproject proposal
    POWER Core selection, design, and optimization
    FPGA “uncore” required interface definition, I/O definition, on chip bus, build process
    OpenBMC updates and performance tuning, what is the minimum feature set / libraries needed
    Reminder of workgroup collaboration tools
    Slack / IRC
    https://openpowerfoundation.slack.com/archives/C01UVKFKUQY
    #librebmc on freenode (namespace)
    https://chat.openpower.foundation/opf/channels/librebmc
    Google Drive
    https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1p7YL3urCf4NtYbJTRxXDluytmMotUwty
    OPF Discuss
    https://discuss.openpower.foundation/c/sig/librebmc/11
    GIT repository
    https://git.openpower.foundation/librebmc/librebmc
    Larger shared storage area to save meeting recordings
    Files.openpower.foundation
    Need mailing list tool that people can add themselve to.
    discuss.openpower.foundation
    LibreBMC press announcement
    OpenPOWER Blog
    https://openpowerfoundation.org/openpower-foundation-announces-librebmc-a-power-based-fully-open-source-bmc/
    TheRegister
    https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/10/openpower_open_source_bmc/
    Phoronix
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OpenPOWER-LibreBMC
    Twitter
    @OpenPOWERorg
    @LibreBMC
    Last Meeting Follow-up
    OCP Global Summit, Nov 8-10, Call for Papers June 1.
    New Business
    A2P - Bill Flynn, IBM
    Pretaped Video presentation and slides
    https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/18VRoR-tLlmUDs3a2zIIfiMJ8-jSxOzNP
    Open Items document
    Need to convert to github issues
    https://git.openpower.foundation/librebmc/librebmc
    Use this for issues for the overall project
    Need to start getting content into git
    License file
    Apache V2 with hardware
    Readme
    Go from the charter and add more description on working way
    …..
    How to select base core(s) to start from
    Microwatt (from BoxArty)
    Kestrel
    A2P
    Discussion on what components are needed on FPGA
    What exists
    Updates required?
    What needs to be designed

    Notes
    LibreBMC Charter Status:
    Call for participation went out May 10
    14 day window closes May 26
    Expect first official meeting to be May 27, need to send that out to membership
    Workgroup organization

    A2P, Bill Flynn
    A2P started from VexRISC-V and converted it to POWER ISA
    32b core
    See presentation in Google Drive A2P folder for details
    A2P is currently ~5400 LUTs, VexRISCV is around 2000 LUTs
    Possible differences 1000 LUTS for GPR implementation in FF vs BRAM
    Hazard logic is more complex in POWER
    May have more hardcoded instructions vs microcoded in VexRISCV

    Open Items

    Git repository items

    Core selection

    FPGA Components / Status
    Action Items
    Start document of links to tools and hardware for others to replicate work.
    Diagram of all open tools, how they fit together, what is missing, what needs significant improvement - FuseSoc, OpenLane, Symbiflow, Yosys, openroads, etc https://github.com/hdl
    EDA Tooling - Containers - https://github.com/hdl/containers
    Make sure these support Power. I believe that Rob Taylor added Power support.
    EDA Tooling - Conda - https://hdl.github.io/containers/

    EDA Tooling - if you are a Bazel fan;
    https://github.com/hdl/bazel_rules_hdl
    Used by Google’s XLS team -> http://github.com/google/xls

    Add current projects that you are working on that relate to LibreBMC or opentools. Plan would be to schedule presentations on them to stir conversation and collahttps://notes.openpower.foundation/T0w6qPMJQkaj_u-UTvkUAQ?both#boration. This will highlight areas where technical issues can be worked across projects.
    Next Meeting Agenda Items

    Future topics

    Arjun to present
    Tim Pearson to give update on where Raptor is going with Kestrel

    ©2022, All Rights Reserved